Faculty help students understand potential strike

The California Faculty Association has set several dates in April to strike. Students and faculty held a session to inform the Chico State campus about it. Photo credit: Elizabeth Helmer

Eric Mcguire

Students gathered on March 8 in the BMU to learn more about the California Faculty Association strike. The info session was organized by post baccalaureate student, Mark Faaita, and the Chico State Democrats.

Representing the CFA was political science professor, Michael Coyle, who spoke passionately about the social justice issue facing the California State University system.

Chico State administration was invited to send a representative to the info session. Members of administration declined the invitation and referred organizers to the CSU Frequently Asked Questions page. In their absence, Faaita compiled the information, along with previous press releases, and represented their argument against the CFA’s terms.

After both sides were presented, students asked questions, developing a deeper understanding of the strike, it’s causes, and possible outcomes. Their line of questioning spoke of a growing desire to see social justice as more information became apparent.

Eric Couderc McGuire can be reached at [email protected] or @ericcoudercmcg on Twitter.