• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Cheerleaders seek ‘spirited’ teammates

The Chico State Cheer team hopes to add up to 12 new team members for the next season. Photo credit: Gabriel Sandoval

The Chico State Cheer Team was tabling on the Gauntlet Tuesday – extra cheerfully – getting hyped as members promoted the team’s upcoming tryouts.

“We’re looking for anyone who’s happy and spirited,” said Samantha White, a first-year student who back-spots and tumbles for the Chico State Cheer Team.

Tryouts are being held on Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Shurmer Gym. Students competing for a spot must attend both days, wear comfortable workout attire, including tennis shoes, and have your “hair up.”

There will also be an optional “bootcamp” for those interested in vying for a position on the squad, taking place on Saturday, April 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Shurmer Gym. The cost is $15 and liability forms must be completed prior to participating.

Co-captain and team treasurer Mackenzie Sarin said no prior cheerleading experience is required. Sarin also said the team – which currently consists of 18 members – plans to expand to 25-30 members for the 2016-2017 academic year.

For more information about the tryouts, visit the team’s Facebook page, contact coach Rachelle Currier at [email protected] or call (530) 966-1768.

Gabriel Sandoval can be reached at [email protected] or @GLuisSandoval on Twitter.