Bowley’s grand slam wins first game of doubleheader

Sophomore pitcher Haley Gilham fires a pitch as her teammates stand ready to field the ball. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Kenta Mcafee

Chico State rallied behind first-year outfielder Megan Bowley’s grand slam, winning the first game of the doubleheader at Cal State Stanislaus, 6-3 on March 25.

The win brings the ‘Cats overall record to 18-9 and their conference record to 15-8.

The home run is Bowley’s first of the year and brings her total RBIs to 10. The blast came in the fifth inning and helped the ‘Cats overcome the 2-3 lead earned by Cal State Stanislaus.

In her limited appearances, Bowley has the second highest batting average on the team at .381. She boasts a slugging percentage of .429 percent, and has been effective at getting on base with .409 percent.

Softball1.jpg

Junior utility player Cailin Garmon swings and misses. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

The game opened with the ‘Cats scoring the first run of the game off an RBI by senior Desiree’ Gonzalez. The Wildcats were able to take an early 2-0 lead after scoring again in the third off of Gonzalez’s second RBI in the game and 23rd this season.

In the fourth inning, Cal State Stanislaus was able to come back due to a home run that drove three runs in. Their lead was short-lived, as Bowley’s grand slam would win the game for the ‘Cats the next inning.

Brooke Langeloh pitched all seven innings for the ‘Cats and had seven strikeouts. She allowed three hits and walked one batter, and extended her record to 10-1 for the season.

Chico State will finish out a four-game series against Cal State Stanislaus in Turlock on Saturday.

Kenta McAfee can be reached at orionsportseditor[email protected] or @KentaMcAfee on Twitter.