A day of personal bests for Chico State track and field

The Chico State men's track and field team warms up before practice. Photo credit: Cam Lesslie

Jason Spies

The Chico State track and field team set personal bests in almost every event March 25 and 26 at the American River College Invitational. Of the 28 competing male athletes, 21 set new personal bests, and on the women’s side there were over 30 top 10 finishes.

Men’s Results

Junior sprinter Brennen May was the human highlight with four new personal records, including a first place finish in his heat with a time of 49 minutes, 59 seconds. May was also a key part of the men’s 4×100 and 4×400 meter races which all set new season bests.

In pole vaulting, junior vaulter Justin Woo placed second with his best jump of the season and missed a personal best by a centimeter with a vault of 4.67 meters. With that mark he is in second in the California Collegiate Athletic Association after only a few meets.

Sophomore hurdler Kelly McConnell finished third in the 400-meter hurdles with a personal record of 55.12.

With all of the personal bests going on, first-year long jumper Chris Jaeger finished first in the men’s long jump out of 16 competitors, but didn’t record a personal best.

Women’s Results

It was just another day at the office for junior All-American pole vaulter Taylor Sack who finished first again and improved on her already existing NCAA provisional qualifying mark with a vault of 12-3 1/4.

e5a793c0-673d-49b1-9703-32759626de95 2.jpg

Chico State track and field team bundles up for practice on a cold day. Photo credit: Cam Lesslie

An array of jumpers came away with first place finishes as junior jumper Aryana Carvalho-Mires finished first in triple jump with a leap of 35-8 1/2. Junior jumper Dominique Powell placed first in the high jump with a jump of 5-2 1/2.

Graduate student Meghan Delamater finished second in the javelin but in the process grabbed an NCAA provisional qualifying mark with a throw of 137-3.

The 4×400 relay team which consists of sophomore Melanie O’Brien, junior Kristen Brunk, junior Brooke Whitburn and first-year Claire Chappelle, finished in first place with a time of 3:58.67.

The Chico State track and field team will be back in action March 31, at the Delta Heptathlon/Decathlon.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.