‘Cats beat Chaminade 7-1 behind Langeloh

Junior Cyrena Taylor waits patiently for the pitcher to deliver the ball. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Carlos Islas

In another strong pitcher performance, senior Brooke Langeloh once again led the way as the Chico State softball team beat Chaminade 7-1 in the second day of the Tournament of Champions on Saturday, April 2, in Turlock.

With the win the Wildcats improve their overall record to 23-10.

Much like her performance from Friday, Langeloh once again put in another strong pitching performance and improved her record to 13-1 while pitching the entire game, striking out 11 batters, walking three, giving up two hits and only allowing one earned run.

Langeloh had more help on offense than Friday’s game. First-year Rachel DeHart brought in the first run of the game during the bottom of the third inning with her single up the middle. This allowed fellow first-year Ari Marsh to score and moved senior Alli Cook to second base.

Recap12Cook.jpg

Senior Alli Cook prepares to run to first after making contact with the ball. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Junior Cyrena Taylor would add two more runs to the lead with her RBI triple down the right field line which brought in Cook and DeHart, and advanced senior Desiree’ Gonzalez to third base. But the Wildcats were not done scoring as first-year Lorren Sharp singled to left field and brought in Taylor and Gonzalez to increase their lead to 5-0.

They added two more runs during the bottom of the fourth inning when DeHart, who tripled earlier in the inning, scored on a fielding error that allowed Gonzalez to reach first. Taylor once again came up big for the ‘Cats as she tripled and drove in the final run for the Wildcats and increased the team’s lead to 7-0.

Chaminade scored their only run of the game thanks to Jenn Betian’s RBI fly out.

The next series will be against Cal State Dominguez Hills starting on Friday, April 8.

Carlos Islas can be reached at [email protected] or @cIslasReports on Twitter.