Torey Thompson sets her way to victory

Team player, hard worker, competitive drive, natural leader
and amazing athlete are just a few words that describe Torey Thompson, the true freshman volleyball setter from Newport Beach,
Calif.

Senior Molly Ratto had nothing but positive things to say about Thompson being the newest Wildcat setter.

“Torey is a huge asset to us because she never lets a ball drop and always plays amazing defense,” Ratto said. “Her hustle and effort is contagious and she runs a fast and smart offense.”

Thompson has helped ensure the program’s success in the 2013 season, just as former Wildcat setters Erica Brick and Sable Villaescusa. The hope for her is for continuous advancement in her following years as a Chico State athlete.

Thompson leads the California Collegiate Athletic Association in assists per set at 11.22 and is ranked 14th among setters nationwide in assists per set. She also ranks number 21 in digs per set at 3.06.

The freshman gives her fellow teammates a lot of credit for her success as a first year member of the volleyball team at Chico State.

“A lot of my success comes from the help of my teammates,” Thompson said. “Emily Duran makes my job a lot easier by passing the ball on top of the tape; it also helps when you have a player like Lindsay Quigley who can put the ball away every time you set to her.”

The success of Thompson has been remarkable. In a single game she hit a season-high 57 assists, accompanied by 18 digs to help her team achieve a five-set win over Cal State Monterey Bay on Sept. 20.

Chico State middle hitter Kristyn Casalino is excited to have Thompson as a strong asset to their team.

“She’s a great competitor, when she came into our program she took charge right away,” Casalino said. “She’s very persistent when it comes to making sure she gives hitters her best sets and all around she’s just an awesome athlete to be next to on the court.”

Thompson works hard to keep her spot as setter with her competitive nature and drive to win.

“The logistical statistics and leader board rankings aren’t really something I keep tabs on, I just strive to do my personal best every practice and game to stay on top for our team,” Thompson said.

As Chico State volleyball climbs its way to the top, Thompson has become an essential tool in their efforts of achieving consistent victories.

The reason Thompson is happy to say she chose Chico State is not only because of the No. 6 CCAA ranking but also by how welcome she felt by her teammates.

“The older girls welcomed all the freshman onto this team which has made things a lot easier for me,” Thompson said. “They made us feel like a part of something and our camaraderie is even better on the court. We are all really competitive and push each other to do our best. All these assets make me really glad that I chose to become a Wildcat.”