Men’s soccer team wins with a man down

Chico State
won 3-1 Friday in a competitive, physical game where there were four yellow cards and one
red card against Cal State Dominguez Hills.

It did not take long for the ’Cats to score as forward Kramer Runager headed a goal in right as he collided with the Toros’ goalie 57 seconds into the game. In the 11th minute, forward Luis Martinez chipped another goal right over the goalie from 15 yards out to put Chico at an early 2-0 lead.

The game was physical and right before the half a scuffle occurred where both teams got into each other’s faces, forcing the referees to step in and separate them. Defender Justin Walmsley was given a red card in the 42nd minute and was ejected from the game.

The second half was just as physical except this time the Toros would get on the board and score a goal in the 65th minute by midfielder Alejandro Covarrubias. Runager would ease the tension and extend the ’Cats lead to 3-1 with a goal in the 86th minute off an assist from Octavio Guzman and Martinez.

“Tonight’s game was a great demonstration of what we are capable of,” Runager said. “Playing with 10 men for an entire half is a task unto itself and we held strong and prevailed.”

Chico is currently ranked No. 2 in the NCAA Division II men’s soccer West region. They host No. 1 ranked Cal State L.A. Sunday at University Stadium where it will be Senior Day.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected]