• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

Wildcats continue win streak in Saturday doubleheader

Sophomore Haley Gilham throws a pitch in a game against Cal State Dominguez Hills Photo credit: Nick Martinez-Esquibel

Not wanting to have another day of games wiped out by rain, the Wildcats were ready to open Saturday’s doubleheader against the Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros at home on April 9.

Coming out of a Friday sweep they hoped for another day of victories. In the bottom of the first inning they went up 1-0 when junior Cyrena Taylor drove in senior Alli Cook with a single to right field. In the fifth inning, back-to-back doubles by Taylor and first-year Rachel DeHart extended Chico State’s lead to 5-0.

Home runs were prominent in this first game on Saturday with senior Desiree Gonzalez getting her fourth of the season, putting it over the left field fence. It brought senior Brynn Lesovsky home right after she had brought first-year Ari Marsh home. The second came in the bottom of the sixth, with Cook and Marsh aboard. Lesovsky went big with her fourth home run of the year to give the Wildcats the 10-0 victory.

lesovsky_web.jpg
Senior Brynn Lesovsky waits for the pitch in a game against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Photo credit: Nick Martinez-Esquibel

The pitcher’s mound also did outstanding in the first game. Senior Brooke Langeloh started in the pitcher’s circle for the ‘Cats and tossed four shutout innings, striking out five to earn the win and raising her season record to 16-1.

It took only six innings for the ‘Cats to beat the Toros. They hoped to do the same in the second game. Looking to beat their longest winning streak of 12 since 1978, they are only one game from tying this record.

Esther Briggs can be reached at [email protected] or @estherbriggs191 on Twitter.