• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

Spotlight on AS officers: Jaycob Arbogast

Jaycob Arbogast
Jaycob Arbogast

With hopes of one day owning his own investment company, it’s no surprise Vice President of Business and Finance Jaycob Arbogast enjoys the hard work that comes with running a business.

Arbogast, a double major in business administration and mathematics, takes part in running the businesses within Associated Students. He was ready for a new experience and decided on running for a position.

“I wanted to have an influence on students, but still do something that was linked to my major and interests,” Arbogast said.

Arbogast is a member of Associated Students Business Committee, a committee composed of students and staff members who discuss the different things that are going on with the bookstore and dining services.

The bookstore and dining are two businesses that are self-supported and do not receive any funding from student fees. Arbogast takes part in figuring out different ways to keep the two establishments financially successful and helpful for students.

“It’s always about this balance of running a business and having to make money, but at the same time we want to be supportive of students,” he said. “It’s difficult to balance those two things.”

With his background in investing, one project he’s been taking part in this semester is the divestment campaign run by the A.S. Commissioner of Environmental Affairs Kaitlin Haley.

His favorite part about his position is also the most difficult part. Arbogast has a knack for the competition that comes with business management. Working against the bookstore’s main competition, Amazon, is an enjoyable challenge.

“Trying to figure out how to keep these businesses going is the hardest part, but it’s the funnest part,” Arbogast said. “It’s awesome, it’s scary and it’s tough, but it’s what I like.”

Sharon Martin can be reached at [email protected] or @SharonBMartin on Twitter.