Freshman volleyball player sets up Wildcats for success

Photograph by Dan Reidel Freshman setter Torey Thompson poses on a beach volleyball court in front of Lassen Hall.
Photograph by Dan Reidel
Freshman setter Torey Thompson poses on a beach volleyball court in front of Lassen Hall.

Team player, hard worker, competitive drive, natural leader and amazing athlete are just a few words Torey Thompson’s teammates have used to describe the true freshman setter from Newport Beach, Calif.

Senior Molly Ratto had nothing but positive things to say about Thompson’s role as the newest Wildcat setter.

“Torey is a huge asset to us because she never lets a ball drop and always plays amazing defense,” Ratto said. “Her hustle and effort is contagious and she runs a fast and smart offense.”

Thompson has helped the Wildcats compile an even record this season,  filling the vaunted shoes of star setters Erica Brick and Sable Villaescusa.

Thompson leads the California Collegiate Athletic Association in assists per set at 11.22 and is ranked 14th among setters nationwide in assists per set. She also ranks number 21 in digs per set at 3.06.

The freshman credits her teammates with her successes as a first-year member of the volleyball team at Chico State.

“A lot of my success comes from the help of my teammates,” Thompson said. “Emily Duran makes my job a lot easier by passing the ball on top of the tape; it also helps when you have a player like Lindsay Quigley who can put the ball away every time you set to her.”

Thompson’s season has been marked by outstanding games. In a single game she hit a season-high 57 assists, accompanied by 18 digs to help her team win over Cal State Monterey Bay in five sets on Sept. 20.

Chico State middle hitter Kristyn Casalino is excited to have Thompson as a strong asset to their team.

“She’s a great competitor, when she came into our program she took charge right away,” Casalino said. “She’s very persistent when it comes to making sure she gives hitters her best sets and all around she’s just an awesome athlete to be next to on the court.”

“She’s a great competitor, when she came into our program she took charge right away,” Casalino said.

Thompson works hard to keep her spot as setter with her competitive nature and drive to win.

“The logistical statistics and leaderboard rankings aren’t really something I keep tabs on, I just strive to do my personal best every practice and game to stay on top for our team,” Thompson said.

As Chico State’s volleyball team battles to remain in the postseason hunt, Thompson has become an essential ingredient in its recipe for success.

Thompson is happy she chose Chico State because her teammates made her feel welcome.

“The older girls welcomed all the freshmen onto this team which has made things a lot easier for me,” Thompson said. “They made us feel like a part of something and our camaraderie is even better on the court. We are all really competitive and push each other to do our best.

“All these assets make me really glad that I chose to become a Wildcat.”

Jordyn Provence can be reached at [email protected] or @jordyprov on Twitter.