How to breathe as finals approach

Katrina Ornelas, senior English major shares, what she does to take a break from studying. Photo credit: Romeo Espinal

Carly Plemons

Watch the video at the end of this article to watch student responses.

When studying and responsibilities become so overwhelming to the point you feel like your brain is fried, it’s time for a distraction. Here are a few things to make you feel like less of a notecard robot.

Movies and shows: When memorizing terms has completely taken over your brain, movies and shows are the perfect distraction and a long-deserved break.

· For a good laugh: “Bob’s Burgers” (Netflix and Hulu), “Broad City” (Hulu), “The Office” (Netflix), “Portlandia” (Netflix)

· For a little bit of drama: “Asthma” (Netflix), “Cruel Intentions” (Netflix), “Seeking a Friend for the End of the World” (Netflix)

· Feeling classic: “10 Things I Hate About You” (HBO GO), “Heathers” (Netflix), “Clueless” (Netflix), “Wayne’s World” (Netflix)

Music: Sometimes some motivational tunes are just enough to get you out of the studying blues.

· Songs that engulf you into another era: “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder, “Can’t Seem To Make You Mine” by The Seeds, “Sleepwalk” by Santo and Johnny, “Charley’s Girl” by Lou Reed

· When it’s time to mellow out: “Baby” by Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti, “You Took Your Time” by Mount Kimbie ft. King Krule, “From the Sun” by Unknown Mortal Orchestra

· When you need to get pumped up: “She’s A Bad Mama Jama” by Carl Carlton, “Lose Control” by Missy Elliot, “Scenario” by A Tribe Called Quest

Places to go: A lot of times when the library is too packed or you need a change of scenery, here are a few options.

· Food and coffee study areas: AVOID STARBUCKS. That place is too wild during finals. Go to Upper Crust Bakery, Midtown Local or even Bidwell Park. They all have Wi-Fi and space for you and your study group to hit the books. Another good place is Jack’s Family Restaurant. It’s open 24 hours, located downtown and has Wi-Fi. You can study with food and coffee readily available.

Things to do: If you are too exhausted to leave the house, these little ideas are helpful and mellow your brain out.

· Power nap. Take a nap anywhere between 15-30 minutes long. That way you can get some solid sleep but not sleeping through an entire day of precious study time.

· Board games with your roommates or pals. Monopoly, Cards Against Humanity, Clue or even just old-fashioned cards are fun games that can get a little heated and totally distract you from stressful exams.

· Go on a walk. Taking a stroll or bike ride through Lower or Upper Bidwell gives you some fresh air and beautiful scenery to take your mind off things.

Carly Plemons can be reached at [email protected] or @plemnz on Twitter.