13 years of President Zingg: An interactive timeline

Chico+State+President+Paul+Zingg+spoke+to+the+university+for+one+of+the+last+times+at+his+retirement+party+on+May+6.+Photo+credit%3A+George+Johnston.+
Chico State President Paul Zingg spoke to the university for one of the last times at his retirement party on May 6. Photo credit: George Johnston.

Stephanie Schmieding

Chico State President Paul Zingg will end his presidency and retire in early July following 13 years as Chico State’s president and 23 years in the CSU system. The Orion has put together a timeline of notable events that have characterized Zingg’s presidency.

Over the past 13 years, the university has collected various results in terms of staffing and salary. The California Faculty Association put together a report called “Race to the Bottom: CSU’s 10-year Failure to Fund its Core Mission” that emphasizes some notable statistics.

StaffingWEB

The university has also reached many milestones and accomplishments under Zingg’s 13-year term. Some of these include:

AccomplishmentsWEB

Stephanie Schmieding can be reached at [email protected] or @stephschmieding on Twitter.

One Response to “13 years of President Zingg: An interactive timeline”

1. Rich Johnson on May 11th, 2016 3:58 pm

I though Zingg did great job as President, he was a great guy on top of that. CSU Chico is the second best state college now – only Cal Poly slightly better, but not by much. The statistics that show his pay went up a lot more than Professors – that’s a damning figure, but CEO pay has been going through roof nationally- state colleges have to pay the going rate or other colleges will keep stealing the Presidents, leading to a revolving door situation at California State Colleges. That would not be good. But it’s even worse to underpay the faculty – the reason Chico is so good now is the superb faculty. Clearly the problem is the overall funding of CSU’s – the legislature has taken money away from higher ed and given it to other things, such as this hideous California prison system, We now have all these prisons – which cost as much as a state college, employees at them – who have little education- make as much as college professors. I think the solution to paying Professors better is to cut prison guard pay and benefits, , shorten sentences, and close some prisons down. Happily. Brown is doing some of this – low level drug offenders sent to county facilities now, the best thing to do is ramp up low cost drug treatment programs, and spend less on law enforcement altogether. Higher ed in California is the key reason why California is 6th best economy in world – we got the brainpower which leads to high productivity. We need to start funding colleges at a higher rate – this is public spending that empowers and economy.

• 13 years of President Zingg: An interactive timeline

Indecent exposure and sex crimes, battery and fights