Opinion divided on publication of legal notices in newspapers

Chico City Council will vote whether to require that legal notices be published in newspapers. Photo credit: wikipedia

Opinion is divided on a recent request to eliminate the law that requires certain legal notices be published in a newspaper of general circulation.

City Charter, backed up by the Public Works director and City Clerk, is requesting to eliminate that requirement. Meanwhile, the Chico Enterprise-Record urges the city attorney to advice the council against amending the proposal.

In a letter to the city attorney last week, the Enterprise-Record said, “The amendments violate state law … they would ill serve the interests long recognized by the State.”

The proposal, introduced by the Public Works director of Engineering Brendan Ottoboni, is intended to eliminate time and expenses from advertising bids in the newspaper. The alternative would be for the city to use an electronic advertising service by Public Purchase for contract bids or proposals.

Once the city attorney declares whether the request is “appropriate,” Chico City Council will revisit the request and vote on the issue May 17.

Michelle Zhu can be reached at [email protected] or @mmichellezhuu on Twitter.