Chico State informs community on HSI status

The number of Hispanic/Latino/a students at Chico State has steadily increased. Statistics from Chico State's Office of Diversity and Inclusion. Photo credit: Christine Zuniga

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion hosted a “Becoming a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)” information session on May 12. The presentation gave an update on Chico State’s HSI status and the opportunities it presents.

An HSI is a federal designation that gives approved colleges or universities access to grants. Many schools in the CSU and UC systems are already Hispanic-Serving Institutions, and Chico announced its intent to submit an application to the Department of Education in October 2015.

From the fall 2010 semester to the fall 2015 semester, the number of enrolled Hispanic-Latino/a students nearly doubled from 2,411 to 4,796, making them account for 28.5 percent of students at Chico State. The minimum qualification for percentage of students is 25 percent, and with the continuing number of Hispanics/Latinos/as in California, the number is bound to continue to rise.

Christine Zuniga can be reached at [email protected] or @kissssteen on Twitter.