Women's golf grabs second win of season

Photograph courtesy of Spencer Downey
Photograph courtesy of Spencer Downey

Wrapping up the fall part of 2013-14 schedule with success became a part of the agenda for the Chico State women’s golf team Tuesday as they finished final round of the Dennis Rose Invitational at Waikoloa Beach Golf Course with a combined 31-over par 311 for a lead of 10-strokes above the rest of the competition.

The ‘Cat’s collectively carded 85-over par 925 in the three-round tournament in Waikoloa, Hawaii, leading them to their second win of the three fall tournaments.

Senior Sarah McComish impressed fans once again with her carded 5-over par 75 Tuesday, finishing the tournament in fifth place.

Dani O’Keefe ended the tournament with 7-over par 77 to share seventh place with Wildcat Abbey McGrew who finished with a carded 10-over par 80.

Spencer Downey claimed 15th place shooting 10-over par 80 Tuesday.

Heather Fegley wrapped up with a 9-over par 79 to come in 17th place.

All five of the Wildcat’s ended in the top 20 and their collective success led to their tournament victory.

“It was amazing, almost unreal” McComish said. “The team did great holding onto our lead. I’m a very proud teammate.”

Chico State will now take next three months to practice for the spring portion of the 2013-14 season. The women will resume play Feb. 10, 2014 at the Point Loma Nazarene Invitational.

Jordyn Provence can be reached at [email protected].