Men’s soccer loses first game of the season

Chico State men's soccer shows off their skills dribbling the ball. Photo Credit the Orion

Gabriel Moreno

A second half offensive barrage couldn’t help the Wildcats’ claw their way to victory as they fell 2-1 against UC Davis on August 21, at the Aggie’s home field.

The loss brings Chico State’s record to 0-2 against UC Davis for the past two seasons.

Despite the ‘Cats loss, junior midfielder Frankie Palmer was able to score the first goal of the season for the team and the third of his college career. Palmer’s goal tied the game for the ‘Cats during the second half of play.

Chico State suffered in the first half due to a lack of possession, with their first shot in the game coming from senior forward Omar Nuno at the 26th minute mark. The ‘Cats shot a total of four shots in the first half, compared to eight shots by the Aggie’s.

The dominant offense UC Davis showed was a major factor in their victory, as it allowed them to take quality shots. Chico State had three shots on goal in the first half, while the Aggie’s had five.

The turning point in the first half came after UC Davis capitalized on a foul made by the ‘Cats. This resulted in a goal made during the penalty kick, giving UC Davis a 1-0 lead.

Despite the ‘Cats poor offense in the first half, their defensive plays were successful, as junior goalie Luke Dennison made three saves during the first half, and allowed one goal.

Both UC Davis and Chico State faced foul trouble in the game, with both teams garnering two fouls in the first, and six in the second half. Each team received a yellow card during the second half of the game as a result of their aggressive play.

The ‘Cats had the opportunity to score on three corner kicks, but were unable to convert. The Aggie’s had a slight edge with four, but were unable to utilize them.

A primary problem for Chico State was the trouble with their formation, as they were called for offsides five times in the game, while UC Davis faced just one call.

The ‘Cats were able to improve on their offensive play in the second half, with seven shots, compared UC Davis’ three. While Chico State focused on offense, their defense slipped and the Aggie’s were able to score the winning goal with 13 minutes left in the game.

The Wildcats’ will be back in action on Thursday, Aug. 25 on their home field. The game will be the beginning of a three game home streak.

Chico State will begin their league matches on Friday, Sept. 16 against San Francisco State, on the Gators’ home field.

Gabriel Moreno can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @GabeSports3.