The ‘Cats close out the Warriors

First year outside hitter Bekah Boyle practices spiking during pregame warm-ups. Photo credit: Royal T Lee-Castine

Chico State won 3-0 against the William Jessup University Warriors on Sept. 12 at the ‘Cats home field.

The Wildcat’s overall season record extends to 6-3 with their recent win, as they finish their preseason and enter CCAA contention.

The ‘Cats took an early lead of 12-1 off of three service aces by junior defensive specialist Tristen Thompson. Junior outside hitter Olivia Mediano also assisted in gaining Chico State their early lead, with four kills.

Junior outside hitter Anna Baytosh contributed to the ‘Cats lead with four kills in the first set, including the winning point to give them a 25-12 win,

The Warriors scored the first two points of the second set off an error and service ace but were unable to expand their lead. The second set remained closely contested with the teams tying nine times.

Chico State was able to pull ahead in the set because of three kills by the first year outside hitter Bekah Boyle and two aces by junior defensive specialist Shannon Cotton. The ‘Cats closed out the set with Boyle’s eighth kill of the set, winning 25-17.

The third and final set were caught in a stalemate, as the ‘Cats and the Warriors tied nine times. Mediano helped Chico State break away from the standoff, with six kills in the set and 15 in the game. Mediano delivered the final kill of the game to give the ‘Cats a 25-22 win in the set, and a 3-0 win in the game.

Chico State returns to their home court on Sept. 16 against Cal State East Bay for their first CCAA game of the season.

Key Players:

Olivia Mediano

• 15 kills
  • 10 digs

Anna Baytosh

• 8 kills
  • 3 blocks

Gabriel Moreno can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @GabeSports3.