Athletic fields provide unique ground for ’Cats

Chico State’s athletic tradition is no secret. Each team strives for success year in and year out.

However, none of these teams would exist without the unique facilities that house them. These venues provide a great viewing experience and a distinct home-field advantage.

University Soccer Stadium

Both soccer teams call the University Soccer Stadium home. The stadium has a 2,500- person capacity, complete with field lights that allow the teams to play night games during the fall. Senior forward Scotie Walker said playing at home gives the team an advantage.

“You get the atmosphere of your own home being here,” Walker said. “You practice here, so you’re so comfortable playing here on the field.”

One of Walker’s more memorable moments at University Soccer Stadium was a night game earlier this year, where the team pulled out a 3-2 overtime win against California Baptist University after being down 2-0.

Acker Gymnasium

Acker Gymnasium is the home court for both Wildcat basketball teams and the women’s volleyball team. The gym was built in the 1960’s, and was improved in a 1999 renovation that included new flooring and seatbacks for comfort. Acker Gym can accommodate 2,143 spectators.

A key benefit of playing at home is the support from all of the parents, kids, alumni and boosters that go out to support the basketball teams, said senior guard Jazmine Miller.

“At home we have a lot of support from the fans that come out,” Miller said.

Miller points to a win against Western Washington University last year as a special moment in her time at Acker Gym.

Nettleton Stadium

Nettleton Stadium is the Chico State baseball team’s home field. Formerly Roy Bohler Field, the diamond was transformed in 1997 when local businessman Steve Nettleton gave more than $2 million to the school. The stadium now holds 4,100 people.

There is a huge difference between playing away and playing at Nettleton, said junior first baseman Eric Angerer. It’s also a pitcher’s paradise.

“A lot of fly balls go to die out there,” he said.

Despite its pitcher friendly reputation, one of Angerer’s favorite moments at Nettleton was hitting his first home run in the park.
Nicholas Woodward can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.