• Paul Belz laughs with audience member Joan Goodreau. Taken by Callum Standish on Feb. 22.

Bidwell park highlighted at museum book reading

• Photo of the Notice of Investigative Outcome letters issued to Delta Chi and Lambda Sigma Gamma taken by Molly Myers, Feb. 24, 2024.

Hazing documents revealed: Chico State warns against unrecognized Greek organizations

• Collage of restaurants in downtown Chico. Created by Jessica Miller, Feb. 24.

OK, where can we eat in 30 minutes?

• A group of raised hands against a blue background. Created by Ariana Powell on Feb. 23.

CSUEU, non-academic student assistants to unionize

‘Rumba to Ravel’ reels in classic melodies

Promotional photo for “Rumble to Ravel” via the official North State Symphony Facebook Page.

Need a refreshing, sober Saturday night filled with sophistication and classical melodies? Come to Laxson Auditorium this Sept. 24 at 7:30 p.m. for the performance of the year.

The North State Symphony is a large, diverse orchestra consisting of professional musicians from all over the area, as well as students and faculty from Chico State. The orchestra, directed by Scott Seaton, an internationally established and award winning conductor, serves within Chico and Redding.

Seaton demands the utmost excellency from his orchestra and will dazzle with challenging and iconic pieces like Gershwin’s Cuban Overture and Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloe at Saturday night’s show.

The performance will open with exotic Cuban dance rhythms and conclude with a colorful mirage of romantic French composition.

“As a member of our audience, you’ll be swaying to the jazzy rhythms in the Gershwin overture and then will be awestruck as we pack more than 100 musicians on the stage for the Ravel at the end of the program,” Seaton said.

Olga Kopylova, a talented concert pianist from Brazil, will perform Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 3, a piece filled with flurries of anxious intensity and alluring harmonies that will keep one at the edge of their seat.

Unlike traditional symphonies, Seaton will include a piece with a contemporary and improvisational spin which will surely prove as a unique and potentially once in a life-time experience.

Ticket prices are anywhere from $10 to $40 for the general public, but luckily with a student voucher, the price is greatly reduced to $5. Come join this exciting and eclectic musical adventure.

Anisha Brady can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_arts on Twitter.