• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

A.S. Spotlight: Michael Barrett

Michael Barrett
Michael Barrett

A workplace environment can make or break a team. For Michael Barrett, the executive vice president of Associated Students, maintaining a supportive and productive atmosphere at the government affairs office is a top priority.

Barrett, a senior legal studies and philosophy major, is in his second term.

As executive vice president, Barrett oversees the government affairs office and serves as chair of the government affairs committee, the student affairs panel and sits on the instructionally related activities board, he said. His biggest responsibility is keeping in touch with other A.S. officers and offering advice.

“My focus is this office and making sure that these officers and the staff have the support and resources to be successful,” he said.

The toughest part about the executive vice president position is maintaining a steady grasp on other officers’ projects, Barrett said.

“I have to stay updated with what everyone is doing in the office and sometimes those plans can change daily,” he said.

Barrett’s first involvement with student government was through the Residence Hall Association. He served as the campus communications coordinator during his freshman year and was required to attend the government affairs committee meetings.

“Seeing that and seeing all the cool things they did there helped really bridge me from university housing to Associated Students,” he said.

Attending the government affairs meetings helped spark Barrett’s interest in running for an A.S. position.

“I really wanted to become more involved on a campus and community level and A.S. is the best place to do that,” he said.

Time management has been key for Barrett. Along with being the executive vice president, Barrett is also a full-time student, an intern at the Community Legal Information Center and president of his fraternity, Phi Delta Theta.

“I can’t just be sitting there texting and being on my phone,” he said. “I always have to be getting something done.”

Barrett’s favorite part about maintaining the work environment of the government affairs office is working with the other officers.

“I feel like my best role is to be a leader among my peers,” Barrett said. “It’s clear that each person here has a passion for what they’re here to do.”

As a re-elected officer, Barrett feels comfortable with the position and its responsibilities, he said.

“I ran for re-election because I love it,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity to make a difference.”

Sharon Martin can be reached at[email protected] or @SharonBMartin on Twitter.