Office Depot connects with Pocket Points

Pocket Points logo By Tony Montini (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Office Depot, Inc. announced their partnership with the popular app, Pocket Points, on Sept. 8.

Pocket Points was founded at Chico State in 2014. The app rewards students for not using their cell phones during class time.

Since the launch, Pocket Points has spread to 42 states and is being used at more than 130 colleges.

According to a 2013 study, conducted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, college students waste 20 percent of their class time using digital devices.

The app has been able to grow by gaining support from businesses, teachers and students.

Most college students live on a tight budget and are always looking to save money wherever they can. By leaving your phone locked, the app gives you points, calculated from the amount of time your phone is not in use. Those points can then be redeemed for coupons which can be used at different businesses.

On the app, points can be redeemed for online coupon codes at popular local businesses, along with new businesses, like Office Depot. Students can shop directly through the app or online.

“I usually redeem the points by treating myself to a Jon & Bon’s frozen yogurt or get discounts off my lunch. I really admire that Pocket Points was developed by Chico State students,” junior computer science major Tammi Fleet said.

New businesses can join Pocket Points on their website, under the merchant’s tab. They aim to display the perfect rewards for students.

It is simple and easy to redeem rewards and coupons. When the student comes into the business, the cashier has to hit apply on the student’s phone and apply the discount.

Each business is given its own personal portal, where campaigns and offers can be monitored and adjusted with a few simple clicks.

“Office Depot’s exclusive partnership with Pocket Points furthers our commitment to finding new and innovative ways to help students utilize technology to succeed in the classroom,” Diane Nick, senior vice president of marketing for Office Depot, Inc. stated in the press release.

Throughout the year, students are always in need of new school supplies and Office Depot has everything they need and more.

Mitch Gardner, the co-founder and chief operations officer of Pocket Points, also showed excitement about the new partnership in the recent press release.

“Our team is elated to be working closely with a company of Office Depot’s caliber,” Gardner said. “Pocket Points’ mission has always been to provide value to students and merchants. This partnership will enhance the experience on all fronts.”

Kayla Fitzgerald can be reached at [email protected] or @kaylafitz_20 on Twitter.