Spotlight on AS officers: Taylor Herren

In the wake of last year’s Call to Action Summit, which addressed student safety, Associated Students President Taylor Herren has made strides to protect the safety of students.

Herren, a senior animal science major, first became interested in Associated Students during her freshman year in the Freshman Leadership Opportunity Program. Her time spent in CAVE also influenced her to run for president.

“Working in the CAVE office allowed me to develop a connection to the campus and local community,” she said.Celebration of Holi in Trinity Commons, March 27th, 2013.

As president, Herren serves as the CEO of Associated Students, chair of the A.S. Board of Directors,  a voting member of the Government Affairs Committee, co-chair of Town and Gown Committee, a senator on the Academic Senate, a representative on the Educational Policies and Procedures Committee and serves on many other councils and committees on campus.

“My job is to be an external representative for students,” Herren said. “I work closely with staff, faculty, administration and community members to make sure students and the campus is represented.”

This semester, Herren has worked hard to make holidays such as Labor Day and Halloween safer for students, she said. The student body should be proud of the accomplishments made this semester.

“Thousands of students volunteered and participated in the events, and the weekend activity was much safer and calmer than it has been in the past,” she said. “I was very proud to be a part of our student body and of our campus for the progress that has been made.”

Herren is also a founding member of Students Against Violence Everywhere, an organization that aims to raise awareness about violence involving drug and alcohol use that affects students.

Working with the organizations has helped Herren become an activist for students and the community, she said.

The toughest and most important   part of the president’s job is spending 15 to 25 hours per week in meetings she said.

“It is extremely important that students are represented in each of these meetings, and by attending such a wide range of meetings I have a great understanding of campus initiatives,” she said.

After graduating in the spring, Herren will be attending graduate school. Serving as president has allowed Herren to engage with students and have an enjoyable experience, she said.

“It is a privilege to represent a student body that is as focused on achievement and engagement as ours,” Herren said. “I am always proud to work with the community and find ways to showcase the extraordinary work that is going on our campus.”

Sharon Martin can be reached at [email protected] or @SharonBMartin on Twitter.