Marketplace Cafè undergoes transformation

Scoville references the scale in which cooks measure the spiciness of food. Photo credit: George Johnston

Students returning to Chico State may notice big changes in the Market Place Cafe. Over winter break, construction was completed to give the student dining center a makeover.

Three new concepts were added to the marketplace: “Pitchfork,” “Scoville” and a salad bar.

“Pitchfork” will be a station exclusively serving ingredients that are locally grown and humanely raised in Northern California and along the Oregon border.

“Scoville” features southwest Mexican food concepts re-engineered. This station will also include homemade salsas and hot sauces.

The marketplace expects the self-serve salad bar to be open during the second or third week of the semester. They are just waiting for a sneeze guard says Corinne Knapp, associate director of dining services.

“We knew we were in the need of a fresh coat of a paint and we wanted to go farther than just putting paint on the wall,” Knapp said. “We really wanted a new look and we wanted that look to convey the quality and freshness of our food.”

This week, from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. several of the stations will have soft launches.

IMG_7752.JPG
Homemade salsa and hot sauce will be served at Scoville. Photo credit: George Johnston

Regular Semester hours for Market Place Café:

Monday: Thursday 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Sub Street Deli open until 4 p.m.)

Friday: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.

George Johnston can be reached at [email protected] or @gjohnston786 on Twitter.