Protesters clash on campus

Bee Crosswhite opposes pro-life protester. Photo credit: George Johnston

Jacqueline Morales

Gender Sexuality Equity Center students stood in opposition to views on abortion with the off-campus organization Project Truth April 10.

In an attempt to inform students, Project Truth tabled on campus handing out magazines with images showing baby fetus’ after abortion. GSEC students claimed the images being distributed were inaccurate.

“We are out here because we want to say that what they are doing is wrong. They are promoting false images about abortion and as you can see by the pamphlet that they give you. It is false pictures and false testaments about what they’re doing,” said Vall Flores a student intern for GSEC.

Project Truth is an organization based on educating college campuses all over the state to inform students about abortion.

“It’s not a protest. We are not angry at women. That’s what people will often charge us with,” said Ed a volunteer for Project Truth. “We think that it’ll impact those women who are trying to decide if they become pregnant.”

Jacqueline Morales can be reached at [email protected] or @jackie_theorion on Twitter.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Protesters clash on campus”

1. Lars Anderson on April 10th, 2017 8:08 pm

There has been no coverage in the Orion on the VD epidemic in Chico, there has been a huge jump in Chlymidia cases, which is an STD.. I think this is a big story but Orion editors have missed it completely, the ER’s is on the story, but the Orion is asleep on the job. The lack of coverage indicates to me students could be giving each other Chlymidia and not know it. I myself had never heard of this STD, so a story explaining what this is would be a plus. A college paper, I think, has role to play in terms of keeping the community healthy. Sadly, the Orion is covering man-dress-as-bunny stories rather than being on top of this horrific STD epidemic.

2. James on April 11th, 2017 3:08 pm

The fact that you didn’t pay attention in Sex Ed doesn’t mean The Orion is failing, it means you are.

The STD problem in Chico has been covered to death (yes, even by The O), pretty much every semester since the beginning of time.

Do some homework before you bitch about nonsense on the internet.

3. William Wilberforce on April 16th, 2017 12:38 pm

WOW! Great example of FAKE NEWS.

The two characters in the photo are BOTH pro-abortion advocates and were yelling at each other, not knowing they are both on the same side. You could have found that out if you had asked them. The guy in the hat was trying to mock the pro-life folks, but was being drowned out by the sign waver. Talk about confused people.
    The later photo of the sign waver with his sign torn was torn by another student who was mad at him for not allowing her to see the display because he was putting the sign in her face and blocking her view.
    And the third example of your fake news is the link you offer to Project Truth. That is not the group that was on campus. You linked the reader to some group in Scotland.
    I hope you are being graded on your news report, Jaqueline, because you deserve the “F” for your rank reporting.
    There is video of all of this clarification showing you are completely incorrect in your report. You could get a job at CNN easily.

4. John Edgar on April 19th, 2017 4:54 am

Thank you Lexy for bringing some balance, by at least allowing Project Truth to defend their claim, that their pictures are the reality of abortion. Project Truth put themselves out there to educate students on the humanity of the unborn and the inhumanity of abortion. That should be your story and if their brochure is inaccurate then show what was presented and try and refute it. I have to agree with Mr. Wilberforce all these accusations of the protesters and continually reporting their claims of inaccurate images without any evidence comes across as fake news.

• Protesters clash on campus

• Protesters clash on campus

• Protesters clash on campus

• Protesters clash on campus

Body found at Kendall Hall, police investigation ongoing

• Protesters clash on campus

Environmental organization celebrates 43 years in community

• Protesters clash on campus

New science building breaks ground

• Protesters clash on campus

Chaos on the corner of 20th and MLK

• Protesters clash on campus

Organizers protest the Women’s Resource Clinic, call for reproductive rights

• Protesters clash on campus

Kasey Reynolds hosts #StompOutHate ice cream social

• Protesters clash on campus

Protesters clash on campus