Winter break short-lived for athletes

As professors get ready to hand out their  final exams, many Chico State students are welcoming the winter break with open arms.

But for Chico State athletes, the break will be short and sweet.

The women’s basketball team will end the fall semester with a game on Dec. 21 before they go home to be with their families for Christmas.

But after the holidays, it’s right back to the gym, said senior point guard Courtney Hamilton.

“Winter break is different, just because since our season is in full swing we don’t get the whole break off,” Hamilton said. “We get a week off to go home for Christmas, but other than that we are in the gym practicing or playing games over the entire break.”athletesbreaks

The Chico State women’s basketball team has a total of six games during the break. Four of the games will be at home.

Student-athletes who play a winter sport get used to giving up their holiday breaks for the team, Hamilton said.

“There has never really been a time where I wanted to be home the entire break,” Hamilton said. “I’ve been playing since third grade, and I’m used to playing during the holidays. I know the commitment a winter sport requires.”

Fellow teammate Jazmine Miller, a senior guard, also understands the responsibility that comes with playing a winter sport.

“I’m used to not having a break because in high school it’s somewhat the same thing,” Miller said. “But when I get finished hooping it will be weird to actually have a break. I won’t know what to do with myself.”

Once the team returns after Christmas, there will be practice every day and games every Friday and Saturday.

“Chico is so dead. It feels like hardly anyone is here at all. It goes from being active and seeing so many people to dry and not seeing hardly anyone in town.” -Jazmine Miller

Players have free time before and after practice, but they cannot leave town, Miller said. If they want to do things with friends or teammates, they have to keep it local.

Chico has a completely different feel during break, Miller said.

“Chico is so dead,” she said. “It feels like hardly anyone is here at all. It goes from being active and seeing so many people to dry and not seeing hardly anyone in town.”

The Chico State men’s basketball team also has a busy schedule, with six games during the break. Four of those games will be played at home.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.