1078 says goodbye with Alma Mudder

Active artists make their way back to their roots to show their work. As the 1078 gallery prepares to say goodbye to their current venue and relocate into a new space, the exhibition committee hosted the Artists’ Reception for “Alma Mudder” Ceramics Show May 5.

Mallory Russell, volunteer of the exhibition committee, said the purpose of this event was to gather all of her fellow classmates and present their talented work on behalf of the Chico State ceramics department and community.

“Here at the ceramics gallery, we’re showcasing the artists’ work and their individual preference for ceramics,” Russell said.

When it comes to the art industry, the field of ceramics tends to get a lot of flack and is underrepresented. “Unfortunately, ceramic art hasn’t been recognized and fully embraced compared to mediums in the art community,” said Chico State art graduate Jacob Troester. “Part of it is due to the time consumption and necessary equipment needed to make a ceramics piece.”

The ceramics and art program on campus is one of the jewels that’s shaped the alumni artists to venture out and enter the art world.

“Because of the wonder professors, facility and mentoring I received as a student, it’s tremendously helped me land many opportunities to travel and do artwork,” alumni student Rickie Barnett said.

The beloved 1078 gallery has become an institution for hosting art galleries, shows, events and gatherings for the community of Chico.

almamudder2_web.png
"Exedous: Quest for the high and dry"
Artist: Jacob Troester Photo credit: Abigail Jones

“I truly think that 1078 opened doors for me back when I was a student and it’s always great to come back to my roots,” Barnett said. “This has always been a space for art to be showcased and brought to the attention of those who appreciate art.”

Many of the art graduates have worked with art residencies, studios and workshops across the nation. However, they return to their humble beginnings in Chico and contribute their work here every chance they get.

“It’s awesome coming back here, talking to old art buddies of mine and connecting to the current art junkies that are paving the way for the next generation.” Troester said.

We’re grateful for the art dedicated here in Chico and we’re looking forward to what the 1078 has in store as they gear up for new beginnings.

Niyat Teferi can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_arts on Twitter