The Trade heard ’round the world

Kyrie Irving has been traded to the Boston Celtics for point guard Isaiah Thomas. Photo courtesy of Getty Images, Thearon W. Henderson.

Patrick Pace

On August 22, the NBA universe was flipped on it’s head. Kyrie Irving, the starting point guard of the Cleveland Cavaliers and a top-15 player in the NBA, was traded for Boston Celtics starting point guard Isaiah Thomas, highly touted prospect Ante Zizic, and the Brooklyn Nets first round pick.

The rumors that Kyrie Irving demanded a trade had started in July, though no one paid any true attention to them at first. However, new outlets continued to report on it. The Cavaliers were reportedly offered trades by the Phoenix Suns, Toronto Raptors, Milwaukee Bucks, and Miami Heat. The last team that anyone would expect the team to do business with is their conference rival Celtics, but that’s exactly what they did.

You may think that the Cleveland Cavaliers got the best of the trade, but I disagree. The Celtics are getting a proven star who is about to be in the prime of his career. Although the Cavaliers are getting an incredible point guard as well, he just is not Kyrie Irving. Irving averaged 25.2 points per game and almost 6 assists alongside the best player in the entire world, Lebron James. He is an unbelievable finisher at the rim, can make a shot from anywhere past half-court, and has the best “handles” in the league. He is one of the most popular players in the NBA, and the Cavaliers are really going to miss him.

This will all change if the Cavaliers get the number one pick in the draft next year. The presumed top three picks in next year’s draft are all a lock to be future NBA stars at their position. If the Cavaliers can get Michael Porter Jr., a 6’10 small forward at the University of Missouri who plays like a guard, the team will definitely have gotten the better of the deal. He is a game-changer who will change any NBA franchise that picks him for the better.

The unquestioned loser in this trade is Isaiah Thomas. He was the heart and soul of a Celtics team that was the first seed in the NBA playoffs last year. Even though he only stood about 5’9, he was one of the best point guards in the league. He averaged 30 points per game and led the league in points in the fourth quarter. He also helped to facilitate the signing of Gordon Hayward for the team. He did everything he could for his team, and then was discarded right away when a better opportunity presented itself. This trade truly showed to me that the NBA is a business, and it should always be treated as such.

This trade was one of the craziest ones that I have ever seen. The Celtics and Cavaliers play each other in the first game of the season next year. It should be a game filled with tension and excitement.

Patrick Pace can be reached at [email protected] or @PatPaceSports on Twitter.