Cats end two-game skid

The Chico State women’s basketball team snapped its two-game losing streak with a close victory
over rival Sonoma State, 65-58.

The first half was controlled by the ’Cats holding the ’Wolves to only shooting 30% from the field, while Chico State shot 43.8% from the field and led 36-29.

Analise Riezebos would match her career high and snag 15 rebounds for the ’Cats, which was key for the victory.

Midway through the second half, Chico State led 49-41. The next six minutes did not look good for the ’Cats as only one field goal was made. It opened the door for Sonoma State to cut the lead. With 6:24 left in the second half the ’Wolves pulled to within one of the ’Cats, 53-52.

Chico State would not lose the lead. With 49 seconds left, Sonoma State trailed 59-58 and had a chance to take the lead. But Jazmine Miller stole the inbounds pass and took it in for a layup to extend the lead for the ’Cats.

Free throws by Courtney Hamilton would end the game in victory for Chico State. Free throws would also be a key to the game as the ’Cats went 19 for 22 on from the line.

Miller led the ’Cats with 16 points, while Hamilton contributed 11 points of her own. Riezebos led the team with 15 rebounds and nine points.

Chico State moves to 5-2 overall and 1-2 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

The ’Cats will have almost two weeks to prepare until Cal State Stanislaus comes to Acker Gym Dec. 21. A team that handed Chico State its first loss earlier this season.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected] or @sergechez on Twitter