Shooting at apartment leads to identifying hit and run suspect

Salazar injured himself with a shotgun accidentally. Image screenshot.

Police arrested a man suspected of a hit and run after he accidentally injured himself with a firearm Wednesday evening.

Danny Salazar, 18, was found in an apartment complex at the 1200 block of West Sacramento Avenue where he was involved in a physical fight with another man, according to a press release.

The other man was later identified as Tristy Jones, 19.

The men were detained after Jones was found by police walking down the street with injuries on his face. Soon after, it was identified that Salazar fired shots from inside his apartment with an illegal firearm, according to the release. He injured himself and was hospitalized with minor injuries.

No one else was injured or involved, according to Chico police.

The investigating officers on the scene of the shooting recognized Salazar as the possible driver from a hit and run incident that had occurred earlier on the same day. The suspect collided into several cars. No one was injured.

Police charged the suspect with discharge of a firearm, possession of a firearm in public, possession of an illegal firearm and for leaving the scene of a collision.

Jacqueline Morales can be reached at [email protected] or @jackie_theorion Twitter.