Cut the fees, please

Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

The price of overdue fees is ridiculous here at Chico State. Simply forgetting to return a book for one day can cost up to 50 dollars, and where is this money going? We need answers, as soon as possible.

It is understandable that there should be a punishment enacted but there should just be another way of doing so.

How about a hold on our student account, that is enough for students to return the book. And if they don’t return the book, it makes sense for them to pay a replacement fee. But that should only occur in the worst case scenarios, where the book is extremely damaged or lost.

There is no reason the school should be collecting more money for students because they missed the turn-in date for a book. Especially since it is school-related, odds are the book was checked out for their classwork.

It is also my understanding that the overdue fee policy is a common practice at most libraries, but we should make an exception for university libraries. Students are getting bombarded with enough obnoxious fees as it is.

The library is a wonderful place do not get me wrong, but it is annoying regulations like these that drive most students over the edge.

It is also a great idea to somehow create a system where the library could text a reminder to the student the day of when the book is due. Nowadays, everybody is connected to their mobile device and this would be a great way to avoid forgetting. Sometimes all we need is a little reminder.

Most students live a fairly busy life trying to balance being an adult and a student, sometimes we forget. Bottom line, the library should be more lenient in regards to charging students.

Danielle Cortes can be reached at the [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.