Wildcat of the Week

Photo credit: Sean Martens

Whitney Branham is a senior on the Chico State women’s basketball team. She is currently averaging 23.8 points per game on a Wildcat team that has won their first two California Collegiate Athletic Association games by an average of 15 points. She has already gone for over 30 points in a game against Humboldt State, and showed no signs of slowing down last weekend with a 20-point effort against Stanislaus State. Wildcat women’s basketball wants to make this season a memorable one, and Branham plans to make sure of that.

How does it feel to finally be a senior Wildcat?

It feels bittersweet to have the opportunity to play here for 4 years! I’m really excited for my last year and I just want to leave everything out on the floor. I just want to live in the moment and enjoy every single step I take out there on the court with my teammates. I want to go out with a bang and have a great long postseason as well.

What are your personal goals for the rest of the season?

I want to be CCAA Player of the Year and I want to get as high on the all-time scoring list as I can. I want to lead the league in points per game and hold the all-time record for 3-point field goals made.

Who would you say has been the most influential to you as both a person and a player during these four years

My parents were most influential to me and they have been over the course of my whole athletic career. They have been my number one fans and support system since the very beginning and have always pushed me to follow my dreams. Without them I don’t know if i could have made it this far. They never let me get discouraged or stop believing in myself no matter what I’ve faced throughout these 4 years.

Patrick Pace can be reached at [email protected] or @PatPaceSports on Twitter.