Wildcat Athletics reach new highs in 2013

Members of the 2013 cross-country team. Photo by Sam Rivera

Track and Field

The Chico State track and field program’s season was highlighted by J Patrick Smith’s second consecutive NCAA Division II national championship in the decathlon. Smith recorded a career high score of 7,612, breaking his own personal record and the stadium record.

On the women’s side, Robin Hannah received All-American honors finishing fourth in the Heptathlon. They sent 15 athletes to the Nationals meet in Pueblo, Colo.

The men’s track and field team recorded its 10th consecutive California Collegiate Athletic Association title, while the women’s track and field team earned its fourth CCAA title respectively.

Cross-Country

It was another magical season for the Chico State cross-country program as both the men’s and women’s teams finished sixth at the 2013 Cross Country Nationals meet in Spokane, Wash. in late November.

The men’s team was lead by All-American senior Isaac Chavez, who finished eighth at nationals, as well as placing first by 37 seconds. The women’s team was lead by senior Ayla Granados, as she was named CCAA women’s runner of the year.

Despite the great success the cross-country teams had on a national level, the highlight of the season was winning the CCAA conference title in front of their home fans in Chico. The men’s team recorded the first-ever perfect score in the 75-year history of the CCAA conference.

Soccer

This season, the Chico State men’s soccer team had one of its better performances over the past several years. The Wildcats reached the second round of the NCAA tournament, only to fall in a shootout to UC San Diego, for the third time this season.

The ’Cats finished the season 14-4-3 and finished third in the CCAA conference. It was a record-breaking season for senior goalkeeper Sam Evans, as he became the school record holder for wins in a career with 37 and most shutouts finishing at 23. Seniors Octavio Guzman and Jake Ward were also named on the All-American honorable mention list.

Men’s Basketball

The Chico State men’s basketball team finished the first stretch of 2013 by reaching the finals of the CCAA conference tournament, before falling to conference rivals Cal Poly Pomona.

Their deep run into the tournament earned them their second consecutive berth in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately for the ’Cats, they would run into the same Mustangs team that beat them in the CCAA finals and the Mustangs would get the best of them again.

It marked the end of a career for fan-favorite Damario Sims as he, Rashad Parker and Amir Carraway nabbed second team All-CCAA honors. The Wildcats got back to their winning ways and currently sit at 7-1 to begin the 2013-14 season, including an upset victory at home against #7 Seattle Pacific.

Women’s Basketball

The Chico State women’s basketball team grabbed its first CCAA regular season conference championship in five years with an overall season record of 23-6, 18-4 in CCAA play.

The ’Cats made it to the NCAA tournament where they unfortunately lost a nail-biter to conference foes Cal State Monterey Bay 66-64.

The team earned All-CCAA honors with Courtney Hamilton, Jazmine Miller and Monnie Davidson-Mays earning first-team honors and Synchro Bull earning second-team honors. The Wildcats started the beginning of their 2013-14 campaign going 5-2.