Wildcats top 3 from Vegas’ Desert Stinger Classic

Wendy Cardinali. Photo Courtesy: Chico Wildcats

The Chico State softball team gave fans an outstanding performance and a reason to be excited for their season after winning the Desert Stinger Classic in Las Vegas.

They finished the tournament with an impressive 5-0 record with 3 of their 5 wins ending in shut outs.

The Wildcats recorded an impressive 35 hits over the weekend with junior Wendy Cardinali, sophomore Kristin Worley, and junior Ari Marsh all playing key roles in the Wildcat offense.

1. Wendy Cardinali: Cardinali had her first two home runs with the Wildcats including one in her first at bat a Wildcat. She went 7 for 14 in the tournament with seven RBIs as well. Cardinali’s biggest game came in game one of the tournament against Eastern New Mexico when she went 2 for 3 with a double, a home run and four RBIs.

2. Kristin Worley: Worley tallied a pair of insurance runs for the Cats’ in their game 2-win Friday night. She went 7 for 14 in the tournament with some outstanding base running. She was able to stay consistent throughout the tournament ensuring she reached base by maintaining a .500 batting average throughout the tournament.

Worley.jpg
Kristin Worley. Photo Courtesy: Chico Wildcats

3. Ari Marsh: Marsh had an impressive 7 RBI’s over the weekend while going 6 for 15 at the plate. She had 2 RBI’s in each of the last 3 games of the tournament and batted a .400 average in the 5 game tournament. Marsh showed quick base running in the teams game 5 win against Concordia Portland where Marsh scored from third off a wild pitch putting the Cats’ on top 3-0.

Marsh.jpg
Ali Marsh. Photo Courtesy: Chico Wildcats

The Wildcats hope to continue their hot streak as they continue season play on the road Friday against Cal State San Bernardino.