Monahan throws no hitter as Wildcats complete four-game sweep of San Bernardino

Junior outfielder Ari Marsh finished the day going 5-8 with two RBIs and a stolen base in the double header. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Austin Schreiber

The Wildcats softball team completed the final two games of a four game sweep of Cal State San Bernadino today, winning by a score of 9-1 in the first game and 8-0 in the second game.

They are now 9-0 to start the season.

While the Wildcats offense came up huge throughout the day scoring 17 runs in two games, the real story of the day was game two pitcher Naomi Monahan who threw a no hitter in the second game of the day, only walking one. This was the first seven inning no hitter for the Wildcats since 2013.

In the first game, starting pitcher Haley Gilham had another strong performance, throwing a complete game while giving up four hits and striking out seven for her third complete game of the year and increasing her record to 5-0.

The Wildcats offense started the day hot with five runs in the first inning of the first of two in the doubleheader. Second basemen Karli Skowrup singled to bring in the first run, before first basemen Cyrena Taylor hit a bases loaded double to clear the bases. Taylor finished the game with five RBIs.

In the fifth, the Wildcats brought their power to the plate. Catcher Claire Wayne blasted a two-run homer to left for her third on the year, followed shortly by Megan Bowley two-run homerun of her own. This put the Wildcats up 7-0, and they never looked back.

In game two right fielder Ari Marsh got things going in the first with an RBI bunt single. In the fourth inning, designated player Bailey Akins homered to left for her fourth of the year, giving the Wildcats a 2-0 lead.

In the sixth and seventh innings, the Wildcats really poured it on. Skowrup had two doubles and three RBIs in the final two innings of the game. The Wildcats would increase their lead to 8-0 and held on for the win.

The ’Cats will look to continue their hot streak in a double header against Cal State San Marcos at noon on Friday in their home opener at University Softball Stadium.

Austin Schreiber can be reached at [email protected] or @aschreiber94 on Twitter.