Timothée Chalamet delivers outstanding performance in ‘Call Me by Your Name’

Timothée Chalamet and Arnie Hammer star in

Timothée Chalamet and Arnie Hammer star in "Call Me by Your Name." Sony Pictures Classics Website Photo.

“Call Me by Your Name” is one of the best romances in recent years, earning it a Best Picture nomination at this year’s Academy Awards.

Adapted from the novel of the same name by André Aciman, “Call Me by Your Name” tells the story of 17-year-old Elio (Timothée Chalamet), who spends his summers in the Italian countryside where his father works as an anthropologist.

One summer, Elio’s father hires an intern named Oliver (Armie Hammer). Elio and Oliver develop a very close friendship, but they both soon discover the intimacy that they desire from each other.

“Call Me by Your Name” is a refreshing look at how poignant romances should be made while delivering something new at the same time.

Homosexual love stories are often overlooked in modern cinema, and when they are featured, they often come off as pretentious or repetition. “Call Me by Your Name,” however, delivers a balance in creating a romantic narrative between two male characters and creating a captivating and tasteful love story.

One standout from this film is Chalamet’s performance as Elio. He perfectly embodies the emotional and physical complications of being a teenager in love with his character.

Elio’s affection towards Oliver is subtle, for Elio refuses to physically show his emotions. As the friendship between the two characters progresses, the audience can see the emotional development of Elio as he begins to come to terms with his sexuality and his feelings for Oliver.

What Chalamet does well in this film is he creates a character that many young men can relate to, regardless of their sexual orientation. The bliss of falling in love, the ecstasy of being the one you love the most and the emotional turmoil of heartbreak is all encapsulated in Elio.

Very rarely do we see a leading male character expose his emotional vulnerability, so to see a character do that is refreshing.

There were some pacing issues with the film, especially with the first act. Many scenes appeared to have been elongated longer than they needed to be, causing the story of the film to drag. If some scenes had been shortened, the pace of the film would have flowed more smoothly.

Chalamet’s performance was outstanding, earning him a nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role at this year’s Academy Awards. Though, the film itself did have some pacing issues, “Call Me by Your Name” is a great romantic drama and one of the best films of the year.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Angel Ortega can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_arts on Twitter.