Students, faculty oppose incoming fee raises

Students and faculty expressed their reasons Thursday for opposing proposed fee increases. Photo credit: Natalie Hanson

Natalie Hanson

Students for Quality Education hosted a press conference to address upcoming increased campus service fees for students Thursday.

The conference took place in the Bell Memorial Union at 12:30 p.m, with around 40 students and faculty members in attendance. Speakers expressed the effects they feel the fee increases will have on students and criticized the campus administration for charging students for financial problems of the campus. These fees are charged to students each semester, and the increase is estimated to be about an extra $190 per student, per semester.

Concerns for the increases further straining already overworked students struggling to pay for college touched on mental health concerns. Student Nathaniel Nevels mentioned the higher risk of depression and of dropping out of college for those with increased financial burden.

“I ask these students, when do you sleep?” said counselor Mimi Bommersbach.

Counselor Bommersbach

Mimi Bommersbach admonished past actions by administrators that have led, the group says, to further increases to students’ bills. Photo credit: Natalie Hanson

Incoming student Robin McKie also addressed the role of racial and class privileges that affect whether students will be able to pay higher fees.

Student Adela Gutierrez attacked the campus for neglecting campus maintenance such as proper night lighting, and called out the president for failing to attend the conference while putting “financial burden” on students. “I don’t see Gayle Hutchinson here,” said Gutierrez.

Adela

Student Adela Gutierrez expressed her concern that administrators don’t understand financial burdens on students. Photo credit: Natalie Hanson

The speakers encouraged students to sign up for Action Day in Sacramento on April 4, and to take action by demanding the ability for students to vote on the issue.

“This is a slow-motion train wreck…You students should be outraged,” Bommersbach added.

Natalie Hanson can be reached at [email protected] or @NatalieH_Orion on Twitter.