Women win as Branham breaks 3-point record while men struggle in San Francisco

Whitney Branham and coach Brian Fogel Photo credit: Jason Haley

The Chico State women dominated the San Fransisco State Gators in an exciting game resulting in a win of 63-49. The men fought hard but ultimately lost 38-67 against the Gators.

Whitney Branham and Kayla Taylor both shined on the court, scoring a combined total of 34 out of the 63 total game points scored.

According to Taylor, the goal against the Gators was to push the ball and tire out the offense.

Branham helped with this, scoring four 3-pointers to give her 199 on her career, eclipsing the 196 mark set in 2008.

The ‘Cats were slow to start during the first quarter but quickly stepped into rhythm their in the second quarter. They ended the first half leading 28-21.

The Chico State women played an exciting third quarter, scoring 21 points and followed up with a strong fourth quarter to end the game with a win of 63-49.

“It wasn’t the prettiest win but that’s what you expect at this point in the season and the road games are always scrappy,” Branham said. “We never gave up and we stayed together and that’s what’s important. We are ready to get another win tomorrow so we can have a home game!”

The men struggled against the Gators.

Jalen McFerren and Isaiah Ellis were the main scorers of the first half while Justin Briggs contributed with rebounds. The ‘Cats were trailing behind the Gators 11-27 at halftime and could never recover.

Freshman Malik Duffy scored nine points and was strong on the boards with eight for the Wildcats, but it wasn’t near enough.

“As an individual I felt prepared for this game and ready to go! I had a lot of energy and was fired up to play. As a team we didn’t come out with the intensity we needed to win a big road game,” Duffy said.

Courtney Chapman can be reached at [email protected] or @courtneychaps on Twitter.