Chico softball stays perfect following four game sweep of Cal State East Bay

Starting pitcher Haley Gilham following one of her nine wins on the year so far for the Wildcats Photo credit: Anne Chamberlain

Justin Couchot

The Chico State softball team increased its undefeated record to 17-0 (12-0 CCAA) Saturday with back-to-back double header wins against Cal State East Bay. They won 1-0 and 10-1 Friday, while finishing strong Saturday winning 4-2 in the first game and 4-1 in the second.

playerIntrosEastBay.jpg

Player introductions as the Wildcats and Pioneers get set to play. Photo credit: Andrew Baumgartner

In game one of Saturday’s doubleheader, the first four innings were quiet for both teams, before an error by Cal State East Bay provided a boost for the Wildcat offense. With two outs, Wendy Cardinali singled to the opposite field to score one run, before Ari Marsh knocked in two more to give the Wildcats a 4-0 advantage.

Haley Gilham pitched solid once again this weekend for the Wildcats, hurling eight shutout innings Friday and following that with seven more innings Saturday for her ninth win on the year.

In game two of Friday’s matchup, the Wildcats had an eight run first inning, including home runs by Claire Wayne and Cyrena Taylor to get the ’Cats off to a hot start. On Saturday, the Wildcats got their offense going early scoring two runs each in the first and second innings. This proved to be enough for pitchers Naomi Monahan and Sam Mulock who limited the Pioneers to just one run in the first inning.

The Wildcats now travel to Stanislaus State for back-to-back double headers on Friday and Saturday before returning home for a double header against Cal State Monterey Bay March 9.

Justin Couchot can be reached at [email protected] or @JCouchot_Sports on Twitter.