• Paul Belz laughs with audience member Joan Goodreau. Taken by Callum Standish on Feb. 22.

Bidwell park highlighted at museum book reading

• Photo of the Notice of Investigative Outcome letters issued to Delta Chi and Lambda Sigma Gamma taken by Molly Myers, Feb. 24, 2024.

Hazing documents revealed: Chico State warns against unrecognized Greek organizations

• Collage of restaurants in downtown Chico. Created by Jessica Miller, Feb. 24.

OK, where can we eat in 30 minutes?

• A group of raised hands against a blue background. Created by Ariana Powell on Feb. 23.

CSUEU, non-academic student assistants to unionize

Wildcats offense shows up as power surge leads Wildcats past Seawolves

The Wildcats celebrate a home run Photo credit: Jordan Jarrell

The Chico State baseball team that had been struggling to hit for power brought their bats to Sonoma State, breaking out with three home runs in four games over the weekend.

The Wildcats took three of four games from the Seawolves, winning 5-1 on Friday, 8-3 on Saturday, and 9-3 on Sunday.

They are now 8-4 to start the season.

On Friday, pitcher Casey Costello improved to 3-0 after throwing seven innings of one run ball. Right fielder Kyle Blakeman got things going for the Wildcats offense in the first inning with a two-run home run to left. It was his first of the year, and gave the Wildcats an early lead. In the top of the ninth, designated hitter Alex DeVito followed with a two-run home run of his own, securing a comfortable lead for the Wildcats.

In Saturday’s double-header, the Wildcats struggled through their first game, giving up a season high 12 runs. However, Luke Hussung added a two-run home run in the top of the ninth, his first of the year and the Wildcats third of the weekend.

The second game of the day went a lot better. By the end of the fourth inning, the Wildcats were up 7-1. Pitcher Grant Larson allowed two runs over five innings while striking out six. Anthony Baleto and Jae Wagner then combined to close out the final two innings, striking out five of the last six batters.

In Sunday’s game, the Wildcats battled back late in the seventh inning to take the lead from the Seawolves. Catcher RJ Hassey scored two runs with a ground rule double to left, and shortstop Casey Henderson capped it off with a two-run single of his own.

The Wildcats play San Francisco State next at 2 p.m. Friday at Nettleton Stadium.

Austin Schreiber can be reached at [email protected] or @aschreiber94 on Twitter.