Wildcats softball team looking to break school records

Pitcher Haley Gilham is one of the Wildcats off to a hot start this season, starting 9-0 with a .70 ERA after nine games. Photo credit: Katalina Santamaria

The Chico State Women’s softball team is now 17-0 on the season where they are slowly reaching new heights to possibly break individual as well as team records.

Pitching:

ERA: Starting pitcher Haley Gilham currently holds the school’s record for top ERA by a pitcher in a season at 1.31 and Gilham is on track to break her own single-season record with her current ERA at 0.70 after nine games.

W (Career): Gilham currently ranks number two on the school’s career pitching records with 57 wins in her Wildcat career. She is only three wins behind the current record holder, which is 59 wins from pitcher Katie Stokx in 2002- 2005.

Hits and average:

Last season infielder Ari Marsh finished with a .378 batting average, which is currently the 8th highest season batting average in Chico State softball history. As of now, her current batting average sits at .368 and she continues to find success at the plate. If she can maintain a solid performance for the remainder of the season she could look to break her own record and possibly earn a spot on top the record book.

There are currently two Wildcats who are in the top 10 in hits per season with Marsh finishing with 65 hits last season and outfielder Kristin Worley with 61. Both players are showing promise to possibly beat personal records as well as breaking the school record, which currently sits at 73 hits, in a season where Marsh has 21 hits so far this season followed by Worley with 18.

Home runs:

The ’Cats are on track to make history to hit the most home runs in a season. The current record is held by the 2014 team which had 26 home runs. After just 15 games and with more than half of a season remaining the Lady Cats’ have 20 home runs. Infielder Bailey Akins tops the team with five home runs on the season.

Highest team batting average:

With the Wildcats showing continued success in the batter’s box there is a strong chance of the team topping the charts with the highest team batting average in a season. The 1994 team sits at number one with an average of .303, as of today, the team’s average is at .311. With so much hitting power on this team, there is no doubt that they could potentially break a school record by the end of the season and finish on top.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.