Woman to stand trial for DUI accident that left one dead

A Chico resident is standing trial for multiple charges following an intoxicated driving accident that left one man dead on Sept. 9, 2017.

Christine Rowe, 69, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 causing injury. All charges against Rowe are felonies.

The California Highway Patrol confirmed that the fatal accident on Sept. 9 left 22-year-old Corning resident Luis Saucedo dead.

The accident occurred around 9:30 p.m. when Rowe was driving east on Highway 32 towards Chico and drifted slightly off the road, striking a bridge guardrail in her Toyota Camry.

The crash pushed Rowe into the oncoming lane where she collided with Saucedo, causing his truck to flip over several times.

“He was driving a 2007 Dodge Ram with five passengers,” CHP Public Information Officer Logan Callahan confirmed. Three of the passengers were unharmed.

Saucedo and one of his passengers were thrown from the vehicle, causing injuries to the passenger and fatally wounding Saucedo. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers suspected that Rowe was intoxicated, and she admitted that she had been drinking at a restaurant before the accident. She was treated at Enloe Medical Center for minor injuries after being released by police.

Rowe remains free for the duration of her trial, but must adhere to strict court orders that require her to abstain from alcohol and attend mandatory self help meetings.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @joey_theorion on Twitter.