Stanislaus State snaps Chico State softball 17 game win streak, Wildcats look to bounce back

Chico State pitcher Naomi Monahan in one of her 10 wins on the year in a start at home for the Wildcats Photo credit: Anne Chamberlain

Chico State softball fells short against Stanislaus State Sunday afternoon after losing 4-0 in game one of a double header, snapping the teams 17 game winning streak.

Going into the game the ’Cats were undefeated with a record of 17-0 with no signs of being stopped. Unfortunately that came to an end Sunday afternoon in Turlock where the Warriors became the first team to find an answer to Wildcat ace Haley Gilham. Gilham allowed three runs over six innings, allowing 10 hits and ultimately earning her first loss on the year.

The Warriors had strong pitching behind them after allowing Claire Wayne the only hit of game one for the Wildcats.

In game two of the double header the ’Cats were able to rally back and win 2-1 in a game that could have gone either way.

Right fielder Ari Marsh was able to get the teams bats going in the third inning, when she doubled to right scoring Kristin Worley. Worley later scored in the fifth to put the WIldcats on top 2-0.

The pitching in game two was a great combination of Naomi Monahan and Sam Mulock. Both starters struggled a little with command, walking four each, which ultimately was the difference in the game when Kristin Borst walked Kristin Worley and Reilani Peleti came into score on a passed ball in the fifth inning.

The Cats’ look to continue their fight against Stanislaus State tomorrow where the series comes to an end in a double header at noon with the final game beginning at 2:30 pm in Turlock.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.