Stanislaus State snaps Chico’s win streak; Wildcats fight to even series at 2-2

First baseman Cyrena Taylor hits a home run for the Wildcats. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography

Chico State softball broke even with Stanislaus State Monday in double header where the Wildcats would win game one 9-5 and fall to the Warriors in game two 4-1.

In game one of the double header the Chico was dominant at bat. Kristin Worley and Ari Marsh had two hits and a stolen base each and the Wildcats got home runs from Wendy Cardinali, Cyrena Taylor and Bailey Akins. The Wildcats have now hit 23 home runs as a team on the year, and may be starting to eye the record of 26.

akinHR.jpeg

Bailey Akin continues to lead the Wildcats in home runs on the year. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography

By the top of the fifth inning Stanislaus State was slowly making a comeback scoring three runs and putting themselves ahead, but the Wildcats fought hard to secure the win.

Chico State scored five runs in the sixth inning, giving them the 9-5 win. Despite a game one win, Stanislaus State would later take game two with a final score of 4-1, giving the Wildcats their second loss on the year, and second in as many days. The Warriors had solid pitching holding the Cats’ to four hits throughout the game.

After the four game series in Turlock the ’Cats finished 19-2 overall and will take on Cal State Monterey Bay Friday at home in a doubleheader beginning at noon, with the final game at 2:30pm.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.