Chico State men’s baseball loose heartbreaker in 15 innings to Cal State Monterey Bay

Chico State third baseman Cameron Santos, 3, was one of three Wildcats with three hits Friday. Photo credit: Martin Chang

The Chico State baseball team played their longest game in Wildcat history Friday afternoon losing 12-11 in 15 innings to Cal State Monterey Bay.

The team was scheduled to play a doubleheader, but with the 15-inning game lasting 4 hours and 58 minutes there was no chance game two would be able to be played due to the Otters sports complex having no lights on their field.

It was a battle of the bats for both teams, with each team racking up 17 hits in the game. For Chico State, Cameron Santos, RJ Hassey, and Casey Henderson all led the team with three hits and two runs scored in the game.

The Wildcats came from behind, scoring two runs in the ninth inning to give them a 9-8 lead. The Otters then hit a solo home run to tie it in the bottom of the ninth, and sending the game to extra innings.

From that point on it was a pitching duel between the two teams until the 15th inning came around when freshman Turner Olson hit an RBI single to give the ’Cats a one run lead. A bunt from Dustin Miller scored another run putting Chico on top 11-8.

Ultimately, the Wildcats only error of the game, a throwing error, led to a walk-off two-run double that would cost them the game.

The team looks to come back from an upsetting loss tomorrow for Chico as the Wildcats and Otters will makeup Friday’s missed game Saturday as part of a doubleheader beginning at 1:30 pm at Cal State Monterey Bay.