Chico State track and field chases school history in Sacramento State Invitational

Tyler Arroyo gets ready to attempt the high jump. Photo Courtesy: Oliver Hanf

The Chico State men’s and women’s track and field team competed in the Sacramento State Hornet Invitational over the weekend, competing against Division I opponents and leaving with a handful of victories.

Chico State’s high jumper, Tyler Arroyo, was one of two Wildcat athletes to achieve a first place finish.

Arroyo would jump over a mark of 6-8 3/4 feet.

Arroyo beat out athletes from Division I schools like Stanford, UC Berkeley, and BYU.

This is Arroyo’s third straight first place finish in the high jump this season.

Another stand out performance for the Wildcats came in the men’s 3000 meter steeplechase, where Kyle Medina (8:51), Conor Fisher (8:57) and Jack Johnson (9:01) placed first, second and third respectively.

Their resulting times place them among the top 10 all time finishes in Chico State history.

Medina, specifically, finished with the second best all time record in Chico State history in the men’s 3000 meter steeplechase.

The women’s 3000 meter steeplechase was another successful event for the Wildcats, as Alex Burkhart finished second and teammate Hailey Boynton finished third.

Chico State’s Derek Morton had two second place finishes, one in the 800 meter run and another in the 4×400 meter relay.

Chico State’s Men’s 4×400 relay team consisting of Dominique Mosley, Morton, Hasani Barrett and Kelly McConnell finished second behind Fresno Pacific.

The 4×400 relay team finished in first in their last two meets before the Sacramento State Invitational.

The next track and field meet for the Chico State is March 24 when the Wildcats travel to Arcata for the Humboldt Invitational.

Andrew Baumgartner can be reached at [email protected] or @abaum94 on Twitter.