Wildcats finish undefeated in Tournament of Champions improving to 31-3 on the year

Softball team celebrating after a hit. Photo Courtesy: Janna Weiss Photography

The Chico State softball team continued their success in Turlock winning all five of their games over the three-day Tournament. The Wildcats are ranked the No.3 team in the nation and now improve to 31-3 on the year having now won six in a row including 12 of their last 13 games.

The bats came alive for the Wildcats over the weekend where they racked up 54 hits over five games, outscoring their opponents 32-4. Out of the five games played in the tournament three ended before the full seven innings by mercy rule.

The tournament came to an end Sunday afternoon in game one against Simon Frasier where in the first inning, Cyrena Taylor hit an RBI single to score Cardinali putting the ‘Cats on the board early. Karli Skowrup then launched a three-run home run to center field increasing Chico’s lead to 4-0 in the first inning. Skowrup had a dominant game where she raked in six RBIs off of four hits including two home runs in the game.

Pitching for the Wildcats remained dominant in the 8-0 win against Simon Frasier where Naomi Monahan and Sam Mulock combined allowed only three hits in the game.

In the final game of the tournament, pitcher Haley Gilham found herself in a pitching duel against Western Oregon’s Chandler Bishop. Gilham would come out on top allowing only two singles in the game shutting out Western Oregon to earn her 15th win and ninth shutout of the season.

Ari Marsh and Wendy Cardinali came up with a pair of singles to score the Wildcats only two runs of the game in the third and fifth inning. The Wolves looked to rally back in the sixth inning where Gilham found herself with bases loaded and two outs. Gilham was able to stop the threat from Western Oregon with a groundout ending the inning.

The Wolves would continue to put pressure on Gilham in the seventh inning loading the bases yet again. But Gilham responded to the threat the one way she knows best, striking out two to end the game giving Chico State the 2-0 win.

After a victorious Tournament in Turlock, Chico State will resume CCAA play in a double header Thursday at 1 p.m. where they host Cal State Dominguez Hills. The team will wrap up the four-game series Friday with game one starting at 11 a.m.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @katalinaleanet on Twitter.