Wildcats softball outscores Dominguez Hills 23-3 in doubleheader to improve to 33-3

Bailey Akins celebrates following a double against Dominguez Hills. Akins tied the Chico State single season home run record Thursday with her 11th on the year. Photo credit: Caitlyn Young

The Chico State softball team continue to show their fans why they are the No.3 ranked Division II team in the nation. The Wildcats won both games of Thursday’s doubleheader against Cal State Dominguez Hills by mercy rule winning game one 9-1 and following that with a 14-2 victory in game two.

The mercy rule is implemented once one team is ahead by eight or more runs after the fifth inning. With the two victories Thursday, the Wildcats have now won seven games that were shortened to five innings.

Karli Skowrup has had a very strong start to the series against Dominguez Hills. In game one, Skowrup had three hits, four RBIs and a home run. In game two, Skowrup went deep for her second 3-run home run on the day. She now has nine home runs on the season, trailing only team leader Bailey Akins’ 11 on the year.

Optimized-IMG_0114.JPG

Karli Skowrup has four home runs in her last four games. She is now second on the team with nine on the year in addition to her team leading 38 RBIs. Photo credit: Caitlyn Young

Akins had a strong performance in game two as well, going 3-for-3 with four RBIs. One of Akins’ three hits was a 2-run home run in the third inning, which now puts her at a team leading 11 on the season. With this home run, Akins now ties the Wildcats record for most home runs in a season with still 14 games left in the regular season.

Pitchers Haley Gilham and Naomi Monahan continue their strong seasons in the circle, each earning a win in the series. Gilham allowed four hits and one earned run, striking out six over six innings to earn win number 16 on the year. Monahan struck out six over four innings to earn her 13th win.

With Thursday’s wins, the Wildcats are now 33-3 on the season. They will wrap up the series against Cal State Dominguez Hills in another doubleheader beginning at 11 a.m. Thursday.