Track and field continues strong season with first place finishes in San Francisco, Stanford

Kyle Medina ran the fastest time in Division II since 2015 for the 3,000 meter steeplechase. Photo credit: Martin Chang

The Chico State track and field team participated in the Stanford Invitational and the San Francisco State Distance Carnival over the weekend, once again finishing at the top in several events.

Chico State was led again by Tyler Arroyo in the high jump.

Arroyo placed first in the high jump at the Stanford Invitational jumping over about 7.12′, beating out Division I athletes from Notre Dame and Stanford. Arroyo has placed first in the high jump at all meets he has participated in this year.

Arroyo’s jump was second in school history, he was only .03 feet short of tying the record set in 1984.

Another Wildcat who broke records Saturday was Kyle Medina in the 3,000 meter steeplechase.

In his previous meet, Medina placed second in school history at the race, but this last weekend he broke the school record and is in sole possession of first place.

While Medina placed seventh in the event, he beat out Division I athletes from Kansas and Iowa and holds the highest mark in this season among Division II athletes in the event.

Medina’s time of 8 minutes and 44.4 seconds is the fastest in Division II since 2015.

At the San Francisco State Distance Carnival, the women and men both took first place in the Distance Medley which consists of races of 1,200, 400, 800 and 1,600 meter runs.

The men won their event with a nine second cushion, while the women beat Humboldt State by less than a second.

Another notable finisher for the Wildcats in San Francisco include Jenavieve Turner, who took second in the 400 meter hurdles.

Turner was only .25 seconds behind the leader in the hurdles.

Chico State track and field next competes April 6 and 7 at home when they host the Chico Distance Carnival and Twilight Invitational in \Chico State’s last home track meet of the year.

Andrew Baumgartner can be reached at [email protected] or @abaum94 on Twitter.