Wildcat of the Week: Wendy Cardinali

Chico State shortstop Wendy Cardinali has been one of the top Wildcat hitters from the leadoff spot in the order. Photo credit: Kate Angeles

Wendy Cardinali is the starting shortstop and leadoff hitter for Chico State’s softball team. Cardinali is a transfer student from Division I Fresno State who is in her junior year as a kinesiology major. Cardinali has been a big part of the successful Wildcat offense this season. She has 35 hits on the season and 20 RBIs which has earned her player of the week honors from the California Collegiate Athletic Association twice this season.

She also was recently named to the All-Tounament at the Tournament of Champions in Turlock in which the Wildcats came home victorious. Cardinali hit .625 over the five games, hitting safely in each game. She currently leads the California Collegiate Athletic Association in several categories including walks, runs and on base percentage. Her outstanding performance in the most recent Wildcat Tournament win earns her our Wildcat of the Week.

Q: When did you start playing softball?

A: I first started playing softball when I was about five years old. It was a t-ball team that my dad coached and I always told him ‘Dad I wanna play baseball. Is there a baseball team for girls?’ He said, ‘Yeah there’s softball, we can start a little team and get you going.’ So thats how it all started.

Q: Following your success for the Wildcats so far this season how do you feel about your performance so far?

A: I feel like I am satisfied with it. I sat a whole year out last year (due to an injury) and I feel like this year is making up for what I missed last year.

Q: What are some of your goals for the remainder of the season?

A: The goal I feel like is we should win CCAA championship and make our way up to Super Regionals and possibly the World Series in Virginia.

Q: What is it about this year’s team that is leading to such great success?

A: This is a team where we have connections, we have trust in each other and every one of us has talent to bring to the table and we go balls out to the wall.

Q: Coming from a DI school, are there any major difference you see in play?

A: Coming from a DI school to here, I see no difference. The pitching is the same and the competition is the same it’s just different divisions.

Q: Do you feel any pressure with such a great season so far and winning back to back tournaments?

A: Honestly, there is no pressure. I feel no pressure when I am on the field. None of our teammates feel pressure at all, we just play relaxed.

Q: Can you talk a little about Chico and why you chose to transfer here?

A: I transferred to Chico because of the small town community. It’s somewhere different and I’ve never been up to NorCal before. Claire Wayne (Chico State catcher) and I played travel ball together and she’s said many great things about the team and school. Coming here knowing someone felt a lot better.

Q: Who has been your biggest influence?

A: My biggest influence when it comes to softball would probably be my dad because he’s always the first one I text of how I do and ask him what am I doing wrong and he says oh you’re doing this or aren’t doing that so he’s always been there for me.

Have a question for a future Wildcat of the Week? Contact us @theorion_sports on Twitter.