• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

Stonewall Alliance hosts teen dance for Trans week

Stonewall Alliance put on the dance at First Christian Church Saturday night from 7-10 p.m. Photo credit: Josiah Nicholl

Stonewall Alliance, an organization committed to providing support for the LGBTQ community, partnered with CAVE on Saturday to host a free dance for teens.

The Stonewall Trans Week Team Dance lasted from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m. at the First Christian Church and was for teens aged 13-18. The theme of the dance was ‘Creatures of the Forest”. It featured a DJ, teen drag performances, snacks and drinks, a photo booth, face painting, and various wardrobe options for teens that wanted to dress up.

Clothes table
There was a variety of different clothing at the dance that teens could try on and wear for the night. Photo credit: Josiah Nicholl

“It’s awesome that there’s different events and dances like this where we can all connect and come together,” said Anthony Ramirez, a teen who attended the dance.

“Everyone is really accepting of each other here.”

Byrd, a volunteer for Stonewall Alliance that helped put on the event, said that the dance aimed to unite the LGBTQ community and provide a safe place for students.

“We want to give teens in the LGBTQ community a safe place and let them know there are others like them,” Byrd said.

Lead volunteer for Stonewall Alliance Conner Denzel said that the organization wanted to provide LGBTQ teens with the opportunity to express themselves and come together in a positive, accepting environment by putting on events aimed at uniting and bringing more awareness to the LGBTQ community.

The dance also had food and drink available for purchase. Photo credit: Josiah Nicholl

“We want to help kids in the LGBTQ community connect and realize they aren’t alone,” Denzel said. “We want them to know that they’re valued. It feels good to help and provide them with a safe place to express themselves. We didn’t have this kind of support when I was growing up.”

The dance was put on as a part of Trans GNC Week, which started on March 31 and comes to an end on April 14.

Stonewall Alliance has a variety of different events planned for the rest of the week:

• April 8: Last day of the Trans GNC Art Show
  • April 9: Safe zone training at CSUC Colusa 100 from noon to 2 p.m.
  • April 10: The Wrec presents Yoga for Every Body, 5-6 p.m. at BMU 312.
  • April 11: Movie showing and discussion of Miss Major at the Hub on campus.
  • April 12: Safe zone training at Merriam Library room 43 from 10 a.m. to noon.
  • April 14: GSEC Trans Conference – Existence is Resistance – held at the BMU from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Josiah Nicholl can be reached at [email protected] or @josiah_theorion on Twitter.